What a great collectible!
Very few of these were sent out by the Egyptian Hall Museum.
We could not find one currently for sale on the Internet.
This is a real opportunity!
You will get the EXACT card and coin shown in the photos.
This item is a holiday card sent out by David Price and his wife Virginia and their children Dave and Mary Jane for the holiday season of 1973.
The card reproduces the publicity material for the 25th anniversary of the "passing of the magic mantle" from Kellar to Thurston in 1908.
Kellar had a special medallion made for Thurston to present at the performance, and David Price and the Egyption Hall Museum had the medallion on display in 1973.
David Price made a limited edition reproduction ceramic coin of the medallion.
As Price stated:" The coin is a ceramic copy of the Kellar-Thurston medallion made from the original mold- the original silver medallion presented to Howard Thurston that is now on display in Egyptian Hall Museum".
You'll get the card PLUS the special commemorative "coin".
The Egyptian Hall Museum is the oldest private magic museum in America.
It was opened in 1895 by William W. Durbin, who built a small theater behind his home in Kenton, Ohio.
He was inspired by the world famous Egyptian Hall Theatre in England, which was owned and operated by Maskelyne and Cooke.
Durbin named his new theater "America's Egyptian Hall".
To decorate the walls, he collected photos and posters from other magicians he met during his travels.
By 1926, when Durbin hosted the world's first magic convention in his backyard, the walls (and ceiling) of Egyptian Hall were covered with images of most of the great magicians of the day.
As president of the International Brotherhood of Magicians Durbin used the pages of their Linking Ring magazine to further spread the reputation of Egyptian Hall and his burgeoning collection.
Two years after Durbin's death in 1937, America's Egyptian Hall was sold to Tom Dowd.
The building was raised off its foundation and rolled two miles down the road to a spot next to the Dowd home.
For 17 years, Dowd served as Secretary/Treasurer of the International Brotherhood of Magicians and held annual conventions at the Museum.
In 1953, magic enthusiast David Price purchased the contents of the Museum and moved everything to Tennessee.
In 1955, Price built a small building to house the collection, and continued to add to the collection himself.
By 1967, the collection was so large that the Prices decided to build a new home with a wing to house the collection.
In fact, the wing was larger than the rest of the house!
David Price spent forty-six years increasing the collection a hundred fold, turning it into the largest repository of magician's lithographs in the world.
In addition, he assembled a monumental collection of books, periodicals, letters, photos advertising material and apparatus that represented thousands of magicians whose lives spanned a four-hundred-year period.
Visitors from around the world made the pilgrimage to magic's Mecca to see the legendary Price collection.
in 1985, David Price published his legendary book Magic: A Pictorial History of Conjurers in the Theater, a comprehensive history of magic lavishly color illustrated with rare posters from his enormous collection.
When David Price passed away in 1999, his son, Dave Price III, decided to sell the museum.
A two-day auction was set up by George Daily and Mike Caveney, two experts in the area of magic posters and books.
As part of the arrangement, Mike Caveney kept some of the most imprtant of the posters and ephemera as a collection.
He retained the name Egyptian Hall Museum along with many of the original items that decorated Durbin's theater, and established the collection in his home in California, where it exists today.