History and Trivia:
This is an old trick! The Two-Headed Coin was described in the classic book, The Discoverie of Witchcraft, in 1584.
Prior to the introduction of the "nickel", five-cent pieces were made of silver and were called half-dimes. After the Civil War, silver was in short supply, so the coin was changed to a copper/nickel alloy. Thus the term "nickel" came to be used.
According to a March 12, 2012 article in the Wall Street Journal, it now costs the U.S. Treasury Department 11.2 cents to manufacture a nickel coin.
Interested in magic history? Visit our free online Magic Library, full of biographies of famous magicians plus lots of magic history and trivia!